How are Persons with Disabilities Part of the 2030 Agenda and SDGs?
When the Millennium Development Goals were adopted in September 2000, they did not mention or make any reference to persons with disabilities. In contrast, the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development makes 11 specific references to persons with disabilities or disability. Disability is included in Goals 4, 8, 10, 11 and 17 and their associated targets. In addition, persons in vulnerable situations are specifically mentioned six times in the 2030 Agenda.
References to Persons with Disabilities:
- Re: Goal 4 – Guaranteeing equal and accessible education by building inclusive learning environments and providing the needed assistance for persons with disabilities.
- Re: Goal 8 – Promoting inclusive economic growth, full and productive employment allowing persons with disabilities to fully access the job market.
- Re: Goal 10 – Emphasizing the social, economic and political inclusion of persons with disabilities.
- Re: Goal 11 – Creating accessible cities and water resources, affordable, accessible and sustainable transport systems, providing universal access to safe, inclusive, accessible and green public spaces.
- Re: Goal 17 – Underlining the importance of data collection and monitoring of the SDGs, emphasis on disability disaggregated data.
Source: United Nations